Friday, December 29, 2006

Twenty-One Letters


Twenty-One Letters
16cm x 16cm. 6.3in x 6.3in.
Oil on stretched canvas

“Twenty-One Letters Written To A Near Relative”, is the title of this little book that I found inside a ruined workhouse. The letters inside are dated 1777.
Two hundred years later I found it under a pile of leaves in the corner of a huge dormitory.
Now thirty years on I still look at it and wonder whose hands have held it.
My son gave me this beautiful leather bound sketchbook for Christmas.
I shall fill it with drawings and little bits of writing, I wonder if anyone will hold it years from now. Like telephone wires across time.”

60 pounds (UK) 116 dollars (USA) and 90 euros (Europe).
This includes the postage.

1 comment:

simon said...

How amazing! I walked through Wind House In Shetland and 'felt' the previous owners wondering whose hands placed the brick work. I think a diary would be even far more personal....

Can you find out more history? Seems incredible ( as too the art works too!!)

Happy new year!

Simon