Monday, January 15, 2007

Meeting in the Forest

SOLD
Meeting in the Forest
16cm x 16cm. 6.3in x 6.3in.
Oil on stretched canvas

This morning, just as it was getting light, I was walking the dog and enjoying the dawn chorus. I stopped for a while to sit beneath a tree and concentrate on sending a text to my son in Australia. Suddenly the hairs on the back of my neck rose and I smelt a strange musty smell. Looking up from my tiny window on the 21st century I came face to face with the past. A wild boar stood about fifteen feet (five meters) away from me. For a second he stood there watching me with his little ancient eye. I was rooted to the spot. Then he seemed to shrug and sniff the air before he moved off into the depths of the forest.
I rushed home full of the juxtaposition of time, trying to remember how he looked and how I felt.
I did a quick sketch, (which you can see on my daily blog) and then a little painting. Times like these pull out all the visual memory tricks, it is like trying to catch hold of smoke and give it substance, its like magic, like time travel.
I feel very lucky today.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. !!!

Well i don't think we're going to get a rash of wild bore paintings on Daily painters do you? ;)

You've done a good job in the circumstances - although I think if you'd distorted perspectives to take account of what you noticed most (the beady eye!) I wouldn't have found it at all surprising!

simon said...

what a fantastic "moment". Wild boars can be dangerous ( I have been pig hunting in outback NSW). But I have to say they are a beautiful creature in their own right. Smart too.

I think you have captured the face very well too! far better on canvas than with a gun!!!
They cannot hep it if they are a bit "smelly" :o)

Hope your son enjoys Aus!