Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Lost in Time

SOLD
Lost in Time
29cm x 19cm. 11.5in x 7.5in.
Watercolour

I know I said I would be taking a break, and I am, honestly! I was at a friend’s house on Sunday and there in the long grass of the orchard stood this little rusting tractor. Instantly I thought of my Uncle. Years ago I painted a watercolour of his little “massy” tractor and, when I visited him and my Aunt recently, there was the painting, framed and in his study. So happening upon this one made me ponder on the passing of time, the way it blurs at the edges, the things that seem so momentous are often forgotten while small moments resurface, unbidden, conjured unexpectedly by a perfume or a rusting tractor. I was back twenty years ago, in his orchard; coaxing my watercolours to represent a piece of machinery, now I am time-travelling with my paints.


Also just to let you know, the sale of the long landscape fell through, I have decided that I really do not like auctioning work and will not do it again, a painting has a price, and that is that. At the moment I own the long landscape painting, it looks good where I have hung it and if anyone wants to buy it the cost is 500 euros.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done!