Monday, June 25, 2007

Glastonbury and a Cunning Plan.


Glastonbury 2007, sketchbook.

I didn't really go, (ha ha) just in spirit and via the TV. This is Sunday night, after a long weekend of work here I am, sitting in the warm, away from the mud and the rain, enjoying the best bands and the best view. Though I suspect not the atmospheir. I know if I went I would be doing Glasto pictures for weeks afterwards.
Now, as I have had a very effective break from the daily small painting routine I have been giving the whole process some thought. I know that I have a terrible habit of dashing about, painting anything and everything. The daily painting thing proved to be really good for me and now I am going to try another tack, to gain a little self controll.
I am going to paint 100 paintings.
Each painting will be 10inches by 8 inches (or 25.5cm by 20.5cm) and cost £85, $170, €126 (this includes postage) with a 10% discount for people who are on my mailing list.
I shall limit myself to five subjects and do 20 oil paintings in each category.
This means that each painting will form part of a limited edition group in its own right and, at the end of the year, I will produce a book of all of the paintings with their descriptions. The book itself will also be a limited edition of 50 copies.
This is where you can help me:
Please tell me the five subjects that you would like me to choose for the next 100 paintings. Just e-mail me, or leave a comment here, with five of the numbers 1 to 9 below.
The catagoires are:
1.Landscape. (the countryside that I wander through)
2.Saescape. (waves, sky, sand, rocks, cliffs,)
3.People at Work. ( following on from the paintings I did last year, it is folk working, just that)
4.Cafes and Bars. (cafe life in France)
5.Buildings. (Churches, architecture, old and new, city's and villages)
6.Forest. (deep in the forest, light through the trees, the changing seasons)
7.Horses. (everything horse, Breton horses, working with horses)
8.Breton Culture (festivals, music, costume, traditional Breton life)
9.Still Life (aspects of stillness caught on canvas)
I shall then do the five most popular subjects. I look forward to hearing from you and please pass this on to as many people as you think might be interested, don't forget to encourage them to join my mailing list to qualify for a 10% discount. I shall post the results on July 10th.
All of this activity will start on July 12th, which happens to be my birthday and so, I think, very fitting for new yearly project to begin.
Thank you for your help.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see you paint 4,3,5,1,2

Jane Walker said...

Hey this is a Sarah project if ever there was one.. not for the faint hearted. What about seascapes to see if it gives you a taste for coming to Noordwijk next year? (Did you like the photos) Good Luck!

Peter Yesis said...

Great idea Sarah. I too am thinking of changing the format of my blog painting for my second year. Though I am not as organized as you seem to be.

My vote is for Cafes & Bars, then Breton Culture, then Seascapes, People at work, Landscapes.

Suzi-k said...

brilliant idea, i can't wait to see them. I especially adore your cafe and forest paintings, so it would be 46513 in that order (although you could cheat and do people working WITH horses, because I love the horsey ones too!)

Debbie Miller said...

hmmm, I say cafes,Breton culture,people at work, seascapes and either horses or landscapes.
great idea. I'll be tuning in to see what happens :-)

Cheryl A. Pass said...

I enjoy seeing all of your paintings, but since you are making us pick a theme..I would go for the #4 Cafes & Bars, then #7, the #1, then #3. I did love that portrait of the young man you did by the window, too.

Good luck with your decision! I'll be interested to see where it leads you.

René said...

I wish you choose #1

1.Landscape. (the countryside that I wander through)

With the restriction that you paint everything you see, so that includes #1 ,2 ,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and so on. Why 10, 11, ...? Because you also would have thought about the thing you see or feelings or experience. I think what I really want to say is " Paint!" just paint. Let everybody who sees you work know how beautiful live and this world is, .. how precious.

Katherine said...

Interesting idea

I like your landscapes best - but then I count the trees in with those.

I think my order would be 1,2 and 6
Then 4 and 8 - as these are the things which are distinctively Breton.

Sort of "Breton land and seascapes" and then "Breton life and interiors" (I think!).