Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Beach Flags, Quiberon.



Beach Flags, Quiberon. (Seascape 1)

The holiday season has begun. The beach at Quiberon was full of people and some kind of festival going on. As soon as I saw this I was reminded of Monets’ paintings, “ Garden at Sainte Adresse” and “The Beach at Trouville”

I think that much admired work must influence us all, it is not necessary to make a copy of that work but perhaps to allow a sense of it to come in. So this is the beach at Quiberon. The wind is quite strong making the flags quite noisy. I am a little sunburnt and the sand is very bright and my skin feels tight as I squint into the sun to watch the scene before me. I wonder if this is how Monet felt as he battled with the wind to make his paintings, it is possible to see sand in the paint, did it annoy him, and was his face tight from the sun as he tried to define the colours. Did he knock off for a glass of wine when it was finished and how on earth did he manage to get the canvas home without smudging the wet paint?


25.5cm x 20.5cm. 10in x 8in.
Oil. Painting 007
This painting is for sale:85 pounds (UK) 170 dollars (USA) and 126 euros (Europe). This includes the postage.


(Monet's lovely paintings...I am not offering them for sale!)

2 comments:

rob ijbema said...

as delightful as the delightful man himself...
happy (painting) holidays Sarah!

Edward B. Gordon said...

wonderful atmosphere you are creating here, you can feel the breeze, beautiful a master piece