Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Chateau in Shadow

SOLD
Chateau in Shadow
25.5cm x 20.5cm. 10in x 8in.
Watercolour

A hazy burst of brief sunshine back-lights this Chateau which sits, slightly dilapidated, on the edge of our village. Large majestic beach or oak trees often frame these beautiful old houses. Once, when they were new, I suppose they stood out stark and solid, fenced by skinny saplings. Now after many years they seem to belong in the landscape, settling into the arms of the trees, shadow and dappled sunlight playing on crumbling walls, comfortable in their skin, faded beauty still stunning.

7 comments:

Cheryl A. Pass said...

I must be looking for a mental escape today because when I saw this house I was tranported immediately and felt myself taking ownership. How beautiful..your watercolor and the house! I know I used to live there in another life...if wishes were horses. Thanks so much, Sarah!

Cheryl

Katherine said...

Very nice - why am I not surprised this has sold!

Laureline said...

Gorgeous, Sarah!! One of my absolute Wimperis favorites!!

Jane Walker said...

I present you the roses in my today's post as tribute to your fine chateau - bravo!

Sandy said...

What a wonderful watercolor!! The feel of this is great. sandy

Camplin said...

Sold, as it should be. I once traded an great watercolor from a friend with one of my own works. A few of your pieces remind of his work.

rob ijbema said...

what a delight,the back lighting works a treat,love the blue and the fence,
the cherry orchard looks good too,nice to see a touch of summer,after all that rain,rain...