Saturday, July 14, 2007

Manderlay Moment.


SOLD
Manderlay Moment.
(Buildings 1)

Yesterday the sun shone, unusual for this summer. We took a trip down to the bay of Quiberon and, while wandering the little back alleys of a small town on the coast, I saw this house.
There are some houses that, for me, induce Manderlay moments; this was one of them. I am not sure what the ingredients of a Manderlay moment are. It could be that it is a place that resembles somewhere from far back, so far back that it now seems like a dream. Or perhaps it is the sort of house I would like to live in, or that I am able to see myself living there, in a kind of parallel universe, kids spilling out of the windows and me enjoying the company of friends and a glass of wine on the shady lawn, there is never work or the need for work in those places.
I decided to employ another form of magic to capture it. When I draw or paint things it is a way of possessing them, a bit like being the mistress of my own universe. Which is why I have never understood the common impression that to be an artist it is necessary to be miserable. I feel very fortunate to be an artist. If I want to keep a moment in time safe, I paint it. That is why this house is somewhat hidden, confused among the leafy trees and the jubilant shadows, it is just a daydream of a place. “Last night I dreamed I went to Manderlay again”

25.5cm x 20.5cm. 10in x 8in.
Oil on canvas board. Painting 002
This painting is for sale:
85 pounds (UK) 170 dollars (USA) and 126 euros (Europe). This includes the postage.

3 comments:

wanda knight said...

Sarah, thanks for sharing your "Manderlay Moment". I enjoy veiwing your paintings, plus the added pleasure of your thoughts. I have linked you to my blog.

kate said...

As always, I love seeing your pictures and reading your words.

tlc illustration said...

This is a fabulous painting, but especially made cool by the added text. What is it about Manderlay that so captures the imagination and makes all mysterious? This is lovely.