Thursday, July 12, 2007

Megaliths.



Megaliths. (Landscapes 1)

The Alignments near Carnac, nearly 3,000 stones in wavering prehistoric lines. These days it is only possible to watch the stones from a distance unless you want to gambol round with a large group of fellow tourists on a guided tour, because, you see, they are protected, or the grass is, or the flowers. I prefer to watch from a distance, to find a quiet place and watch them watching me. I imagine that these stones have witnessed many things, I like to believe that stones suck up emotions and events like very slow tape recorders and I fancy, as I draw, that the energy hovers around them, like a mist of tears, a veil of years, just out of the reach of our hurried eyes.
25.5cm x 20.5cm. 10in x 8in.
Watercolour . (Painting 001)
This painting is for sale, matted and costing:85 pounds (UK) 170 dollars (USA) and 126 euros (Europe). This includes the postage.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Happy (mumble mumble) Birthday - I'm only a day late!!!

Lovely painting Sarah - and I do prefer the white background - makes the place sunnier somehow.

I remember the megaliths near Carnac well from my last visit to Brittany over 30 years ago (during the long hot summer of 1976 - we were camping in a field and were almost flooded out when the hot spell broke).

Actually, if I'm honest, what I remember best was my very first plat des fruits de mer - it took us over 2 hours to get through it all!