Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Blackberry and Apple Crumble


Blackberry and Apple Crumble
43cm x 63cm 17in x 25in
Watercolour.

This is the first of a small series of “pudding paintings”, large watercolours about food. I don’t cook much, David is the chef in our house, but I really enjoy making deserts, or a goodly pudding. So here is an early autumn favorite, blackberry and apple crumble. There was a full moon last night so it is a pudding by the light of the silvery moon.
I would be interested to know what you think of this one as I have been working on my watercolours, trying to push them forwards and I find other peoples opinions very useful. I quite fancy a cookbook illustrated with paintings like this and full of our favorite recipes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the strong colours and the clear shapes, and the way you've kept all those patterns under control. It reminds me of Matisse.

polyglot

Ash said...

Delicious style and definitely suited to food and accoutrements of cooking. The idea of an illustrated cookbook is doubly appealing!

Jacqui U said...

I like this picture a lot - but maybe the three different backgrounds (tableclothes?) made it a little bit 'over busy' for me.

Anonymous said...

I think it's fabulous. Lot's to look at which is what i like about your old paintings. Love from your boy. X