Monday, August 27, 2007

Blackberry.

SOLD
Blackberry.
(landscapes 4)

As readers of my ramblings will know, I often enjoy a peculiar type of time travel. The other day was a particularly vivid moment and I wanted to try and capture it in a painting.
I was picking blackberries; they are rampant and very fruitful this year. I was crouching down amongst the thorns and trying to weave my hand in to retrieve a group of succulent black fruits when I looked up through the tangle of thorny stems to the late summer sky. I was small again, out on a blackberry picnic with my Mum and brothers, a lazy late summer afternoon spent harvesting the bounty of the hedgerows, hands scratched and stained by the thorns and fruits. Everything about it came flooding back in sharp focus, in particular the macro landscape of insects and deep undergrowth, the heat of the sun on my back while I peered into a shaded fairytale world of impenetrable thorns and hidden riches.


25.5cm x 20.5cm. 10in x 8in.
Watercolour . Painting 018

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all your paintings – I've been watching them for a while, but this one is the best! It has just the blackberry feeling you described. I can't begin to think how you did it.

polyglot

Jane Walker said...

This is really special

Jane

Jane Walker said...

This is really special, Jane