Sunday, October 28, 2007

Tunnel


SOLD

Tunnel (buildings 12)
Well, I don’t like this painting, I am posting it up to show that it doesn't always work. We went on a walk yesterday, along the river (see Muddy Red Sketch Book for sketches) and up to the old railway line. Railways are strange places; I love them for their promise of travel. A rail trip is my favourite way to voyage across the world, I would love one day to “do” every famous rail journey that there is. But the other thing that they hold for me is a sense of foreboding. Maybe that is my Englishness coming out, all those ghost stories woven around trains and tunnels and tracks. Anyway I don’t like this painting and perhaps that’s why.
Sunday trivia question, or alternative title…”Get off the line Bobby” Do you know where that comes from? All answers in a sealed envelope please!

(The Railway Children, film, mid 70,s)

21.5 cm x 21.5 cm. 8.5 in x 8.5 in.
Watercolour. Painting 034
This painting is for sale:85 pounds (UK) 170 dollars (USA) and 126 euros (Europe). This includes the postage.

5 comments:

David said...

I really like this one! The shape, the contrast, the track that leads the eye up. You can almost imagine the early Stones standing there on a photo shoot for a 1965 album sleeve cover, hands in jacket pockets, thumbs sticking out, looking mean...

Sandy said...

I think its' beautiful, the colors and comp...

sandy

Suzi-k said...

mmmm chuckle.... I was just thinking that this one was nice, and then i read your commentary! I stand by my first impression... especially the purple/blue speckledy foreground! But what I am CRAZY about and admire and wish I could buy is the Autumn tree, no wonder you were having such fun. It is brilliant! It is funny how hard it is to be subjective about our own work, I sold three at the opening in East London last week, 1 is one of my favourites, and one I really don't like, and was thinking of painting over, but hung as it fitted in with another group!!

Jess said...

Is it the Railway Children? Lovely painting by the way.

Suzanne said...

I often find that paintings of my own that I do not like are loved by others. It's really an intriguing little piece. Say, are you ever going to share with the clueless the answer to your Bobby trivia question?