Friday, October 12, 2007

Washed Silk and Chinese Bowls

SOLD

Washed Silk and Chinese Bowls
19cm x 21cm 7.5in x 8.3in
Watercolour.

When painting with watercolour something that I like to do is wash off the paint, doing that leaves the paper stained and makes it possible to build up rich and deep colours with a patina all of their own. This washed silk scarf lent its self to this technique as it has the most beautiful range of blues and purples that I wanted to use to show off my Chinese jugs and bowls. Apparently, Turner used to wash off his watercolours so I am only following in the footsteps of the masters, the best way to learn I think.
50 pounds (UK) 100 dollars (USA) and 75euros (Europe). This includes the postage.

8 comments:

vivien said...

this is absolutely beautiful :)


and your prices are far too low for such high quality work - everyone should be collecting madly at these prices :)

Katherine said...

This has got simply gorgeous jewel colours Sarah - they sing out.

I'd heard the one about how you should never regard any painting as a failure on the basis you can always give it a good wash in the bath and start again with it as an underpainting when it's dry! I never knew that about my Turner I've got him lined up as one of my artists to study....

Sandy said...

This is SOOOO beautiful. sandy

Jane Walker said...

Gorgeous, and I also sometimes do that washing off thing - and with lino-prints too.. your signature works well on this piece - kind of oriental effect..

Jess said...

Oh this is so beautiful - my favourite colours! I love the way you've painted the texture of the silk and the frayed edges, so clever. x

Mireille said...

Je regarde souvent votre blog..et j'aime beaucoup votre travail...mais ce tableau-là me touche beaucoup, surtout pour la sensibilité et la subtilité des couleurs...
à bientôt

seesue said...

I can't say that I understand how far along the painting would be before the washing off technique but I do understand that I love the jewel clear colours and the arrangement you've portrayed so beautifully.

Cassoulet Cafe said...

I LOVE the colors in this one. You are VERY talented (I'm off to check out your website)!