Friday, November 02, 2007

Autumn Oak.

Available at Gear Farm Organic Cafe
Autumn Oak.
Someone once told me that he thought trees were like acupuncture points for the earth. I am not sure about that but I know that they are powerful and magnificent inhabitants of this planet. Little wonder then that they are so revered in many religions and hold such strong symbolism.
I draw this oak often during the year and throughout the seasons he wears many colours. I wanted to paint a kind of alter piece to celebrate this, like a triptych or, to be more accurate, a polyptych. A meditation on a tree.
The other thing that I wanted to do was to isolate the elements of painting, to concentrate on the dabs of colour and to surprise myself when they all move together to make the whole.
This is the result, which I finished today. It is made up of nine 8inch square, deep canvases and it is supposed to be displayed like this.

Total size
67 cm x 67 cm. 23.5 in x 23.5 in.
Oil on stretched deep canvas.
420 pounds (UK) 875 dollars (USA) and 604euros (Europe).
Not including postage.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Neat! I've been thinking of doing something like this - it's great to see how effective it is.

Cris in Oregon said...

This is fabulous. wow. I like your work.

Anonymous said...

Such a spaced-out tree! Yes, it is very effective ... I've been trying to work out if you painted it on nine canvases at once, or if you painted one and cut it up ...

polyglot

misti said...

Beautiful tree. Something I would love to see daily on my wall!