Sunday, November 18, 2007

Fruit Bowls


Fruit Bowls
Not for sale this one, I am doing a few paintings just for the sake of it. I also want to enter some for exhibition or competitions and I cant do that if they are all sold. So for a while you can just sit back and enjoy a free show!
These bowls are in my friend’s kitchen…did you guess! The weird purple shape is actually purple cauliflower, possibly a mistake to include it as it could masquerade as badly drawn grapes. I am pleased however with the ellipses of all the bowls. In this painting I used a lot of washing back in fact it almost felt like sculpture at one point, pushing paint and water around to uncover form. It is a technique that I really like, the paper becomes stained and shapes emerge rather than sit on top of the paper. Anyway, here it is, let me know what you think.


30cm x 30cm. 12in x 12in.Watercolour.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

That's a lovely image to open on a foggy, late November morning. Since you asked, what I think is that it's very Cezanne-like in the perspective (the slant of the table) and the treatment of some surfaces (the fruit, especially the apples (?) at front of the two bowls, part of the bottle), maybe even the way the background drops off. But your watercolor is like C.'s oils, not his watercolors. Yes, you're right about your elipses - you should be pleased! Oh, and I don't care what the clump of purple in the bowl is really supposed to be (not as weird-looking as you might think), I like the color there.

Joan Y said...

I love the way you treat your backgrounds. They always serve as a perfect prop for the foreground! The composition represents a perfect blend of placement and color. This one is a winner!

Jess said...

I agree with all the above comments, and of course I looove the colour purple!

Mireille said...

beaufiful colours, deep and flaming and great atmosphere .
bravo et merci