Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cornish Daffodils

Cornish Daffodils
10in x 8in or 25.4cm x 20.3cm
Oil on canvas board.

Cornwall at this time of year is painted with broad sweeps of yellow as the daffodil fields flourish. Some fields have the hunched figures of the pickers, gathering armfuls of still green flowers in the cold winds of the early months. Other fields are left to bloom providing bulbs for the next year.
This painting is going to a gallery in Cornwall (as long as they like it that is!) but I wanted to show it here because I feel as if I haven’t posted anything for so long. My group mail still isn’t working properly and everything seems to be at sixes and sevens. I am sure things will settle down soon but for now I feel as if I am keeping a low profile, something that I am not very used to!

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh, Sarah!

Upon opening this, I inhaled deeply with "Oh!", startled by the beauty. What a great piece of work. You must be very, very pleased. In between your sixes and sevens, I hope that this accomplishment makes you feel good. If the gallery does not like this piece, come back and talk to me! I mean it.

Katherine said...

I was drawing daffodils yesterday - how glorious to be able to paint fields of them! It's got a very 'Wimperis' look about it to my mind.

Sarah - I'm sending you a suggestion about the e-mail problem.

Katherine said...

I hit the 'submit' button by mistake before I wrote the message [duh!] so it's the second one you need to read.....

Jess said...

Good luck with the gallery. Ring or text when you get back. Jess x

willow said...

I just found you and your art is absolutely beautiful!!! Your bright bold watercolors are fabulous. Adding you to my fave links so I can visit you often.

vivien said...

gorgeous! and I'm so envious of you living so near to my favourite county :D

Quilt Knit said...

Beautiful! The Gallery has to take this beautiful view of Daffodils. My favorite flowers. I miss having a yard. I am off today and I am going to go bother some flower shops. Hope all is going much better and much sooner than later. Had no idea there were fields of Daffodils in England.
Sherrie

Jane Walker said...

This is really great and the one above it - great persepctive and depth.. bravo