Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Falmouth Morning.


Falmouth Morning.
Watercolour
Approx 40cm x 50cm or 16in x 20in.

Early morning opens the town, pulling roofs and windows out of the mist, like a silent magician. Still and quiet gardens gradually wake, showing the textures and patterns of the sub-tropical plants. Monkey Puzzle nestles against English Oak, Passion Flower and Kiwi entwines with Honeysuckle.

This painting is of Falmouth, the town where I went to Art College, many years ago. Having moved back to the area I am enjoying easy access to a place that I love.
It also holds the gallery that is going to take my work. Beside The Wave is down in the heart of the town and has some very fine artists on its books. I am excited to be able to contribute some of my work to their walls…I hope I can live up to their growing reputation.
I went in the other day to see the present exhibition and was very impressed, beautiful paintings of Venice, with a sense of history and crumbling buildings, a real feeling of what I imagine Venice to be like. Wonderful stuff.

4 comments:

Jess said...

I know 'Beside the Wave' very well! I love that gallery, well done for getting your work in there you must be over the moon!

Sheila Vaughan said...

Sarah, welcome back to the UK. Your recent paintings are just wonderful.

vivien said...

I know Beside the Wave too :>) - a really nice gallery and I'm certain you'll do well there :>)

Katherine Tyrrell said...

I also know 'Beside the wave' - jolly well done - it's a very good gallery!

Sounds to me like somewhere near Falmouth might be a nice place to be in future.