Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sessile Oak, First Leaves.


Sessile Oak, First Leaves.
Watercolour
24cm x 32cm or 9.4in x 12.6in.

The first flush of green is softening the edges and smoothing the stark trees with a blush of tender leaves. I am sitting in a field to paint this, all I can hear are wood pigeons, far off gulls and sheep and the buzz of insects enjoying the warm spring sunshine. Lunchtime comes around and the distant voices of children released for playtime at the village school adds to the feeling that I have of playing truant!

4 comments:

Belinda Del Pesco said...

Beautiful, whimsical painting. Such a strong sense of place! I can hear the birds!

Bee Skelton said...

Heaven! I feel as if I'm there with you.

vivien said...

lovely and very Cornish

- those lovely distorted trees, leaning away from the wind

You seem to be settling in happily.

Katherine Tyrrell said...

I really like your hedgerows! Plus I agree with Vivien - the distortion of the trees in the winds is very Cornish.

Have you seen the details for the big watercolour competition on my blog?