Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Goonhilly Sunset


Goonhilly Sunset
Sketchbook
Watercolour

Goonhilly Downs is a place littered with monuments. Tumulus and standing stones bear witness to human habitation thousands of years ago and now they are joined by the huge satellite dishes which slowly pan the sky gathering up voices from the ether.
Well they have been removing the dishes lately, there are only two left, I think they are staying, as monuments or listed structures, which I am glad about. I love the juxtaposition of then and now, like holding hands across the mellineia!
I went up there at sunset, to gather my thoughts and to talk to my ancestors, to sit with my back against a standing stone, watching the sun set beyond the great metal dishes.

2 comments:

A Brush with Color said...

What a wonderful thought and fabulous image! I'm glad you explained where you were, too. Sounds like a beautiful place.

Jess said...

Your work gets more beautiful each time I visit. This painting transports me to Goonhilly - thankyou!x