Tuesday, August 12, 2008

To The Beach

SOLD
To The Beach
Oil on canvas board
10 x 8 in or 25,4 x 20.3 cm.

I have just finished the oil version of the watercolour sketch from last Friday.
I love doing this, working up an oil painting from watercolour sketches, Colours become intensified, catching the sparkle of sun through leaves becomes an effort of memory and imagination.  There is always a point when it all looks hopeless and then, once you push on, through the wall, it begins to really sing and you know that you are flying, "cooking on gas" 
That's how I feel about this little painting, it is singing the song of a hot day, walking down to the beach, satchel of sandwiches at the ready, dog by your side.  Nothing finer!


8 comments:

tlc illustration said...

I love this idea - oil rendition of a watercolor... At the workshop I attended in June I worked with oil glazes on top of wc, which I enjoyed. Want to incorporate more oils in general...

Katherine Tyrrell said...

Gorgeous!

laura said...

Beautiful, so appealing--the dappled, bright light and the (always) lovely greens make this scene very inviting!

Peter Yesis said...

I love the feeling of this painting. It could brighten anyone's day. What a beautiful place.

http://takeyceart.com/blog said...

absolutely! This is wonderful!

A Brush with Color said...

beautiful glistening light!

K Spoering said...

This is lovely! Do you use brushes or palette knives, or both?

rob ijbema said...

you do these little lanes so well
nice contrast!
and luckely engeland is full of them,love painting them here in wales as well.