Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Serpentine

Serpentine.
Triptych central panel.
Oil on gesso board.
15cm x 36cm or 6in x 14.2 in
Right hand panel, 15 cm x 15 cm or 6 in x 6 in. Oil on gesso board.
Left hand panel, 15 cm x 15 cm or 6 in x 6 in, oil on gesso board.
Here is how they go together.  
This is the second of my triptych series, with meditations each side.  This one is the rock that is so much a part of this area, serpentine.  In fact it is why this part of Cornwall is called the Lizard, serpentine, serpent... Also appropriate as a title as to me there appear lots of serpentine shapes in this painting.  Painting wet sand takes a lot of concentration, there are colours and reflections, shapes and marks.  I am particularly pleased with the reflections in the still puddles of water at the base of the rocks.  I like the way reflections change the colours of the sky.   I also like the sky in this picture, it is slightly other worldly. 
I will post this up with the sketches on Watermarks in a day or so, (when I can get a slot) Everyone in the group seems to be working very well, it is positively flowing.  So if you haven't visited do so because it is fascinating to see how one subject, Water, is realised by different artists.

4 comments:

doreyme said...

gorgeous! gorgeous! gorgeous!

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Your meditations are so beautifully raw. I never expected to see the rock as the focus of the triptych ends. Wonderful! The center image makes me feel like I'm standing there. You should be proud of the colors on the sand! I also want to put my sun glasses on. Thank you!!

rob ijbema said...

love the last few sea scapes sarah
and the rock closeups are very interesting,
the glare of the sea is so well done

Jane Walker said...

Fabulous light on the central panel.. what an inspiring subject - going to look further back into your blog now..