Monday, January 12, 2009

Something Else





When I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed antibody's help in any way, but now those days are gone and I am not so self assured, now I find Ive changed my mind and opened up the doors...
OK I will stop singing...when I was younger I got my art degree in sculpture but I became a painter and illustrator, strange I know but I figured that I could learn to weld, cast and carve etc.  Anyway just recently I have discovered needle felting and, by way of a little relaxation, in the evenings, I have been furiously stabbing away at beautiful hanks of fine smelling wool.  The white is Marino and the black is Shetland, sheep come in many colours.  So I am teaching myself the craft and finding my old love of things three dimensional.  The strange mother and child is the second figure that I have made and the crow is work in progress.
So, you see, I don't paint all the time!

7 comments:

Katherine Tyrrell said...

Sarah - these are really beautiful.

You should definitely be doing more of these - you have a very obvious talent and skill!

A post at some point about how all of this happens would be very helpful! :)

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

I've never seen anything like it! Amazing!

vivien said...

these are fascinating - I'd love a post on how-to-do-needle-felting :>)

Cathy Gatland said...

These are just exquisite - I've never heard of needle-felting before seeing your works - would also love to know how it's done!

shicat said...

Amazing.

Sue Favinger Smith said...

stopped me in my tracks! Had to back up and read the post. I've never heard of this process but you have definitely impressed me with this figure. As Katherine says, you have a gift for this.

Jane Walker said...

Wow - however do you do this??? More more... the crows and the figures are both fantastic..