Monday, May 25, 2009

Spring Wardrobe

Spring Wardrobe
Oil on gessoed card invitation
18cm x 12cm (7" x 4.5")


In the woods beside the sea all of the new leaves are unfurling, lime greens and fresh young burgundies jostle for space with the blue and pale yellow. There is an excited rustling in the air and the scent of bluebells, wild garlic and primrose is intoxicating.
Every year I want to bring these colours home so I start painting the house in fresh whites, blues and bright greens and filling jam jars with bunches of wild flowers.

This is a painting on the back of an invitation for a very posh charity ball, black tie and carriages to take the revellers home. The painted invitations are framed and auctioned off, in aid of Cancer Research and Multiple Sclerosis. I was asked to paint a couple, which I took as a lovely compliment. Second one is here tomorrow.
I hope they get bidded for!

3 comments:

vivien said...

I'm sure they will!

You've caught spring in the woods by the creeks beautifully and I so agree about the gorgeousness of this time of year and its colours

rob ijbema said...

aah,i see you've got the blues too sarah and some lovely greens too!

Siret said...

Ahh! What a beautiful spring impression!