Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Experiments

(Experiments with Oil Paints)
Summer Fields After Rain
40 cm x 40 cm or 16 inches x 16 inches
Oil Paint on Paper.

I have had a very hectic month with a lot of illustration work, a trip to London, a cow to paint and some clothes to make. I also walked 165 km (that's 102 miles) not in one walk I hasten to add, sorted out my futility room (turning it into "hobby central"), started to build a new web site and made some clothes. You can see my (faux) cat-skin jacket over on Hand and I.
Anyway I got to screaming point ( which happens when I haven't painted for a while) yesterday, so I flung down my illustrations, had already got rid of the cow, put my faux fur jacket away and got out my paints and decided that it was time to experiment.
I am trying to use oil paint like watercolour. I think it may take a bit of time to get to know what the paints will do but already I see possibilities. I gessoed a large sheet of watercolour paper then used washes of very dilute oil, gradually building up detail and strength of colour. Hmmm... we shall see what happens with this technique, I think it is suited to the misty, dull, rain soaked summer that we seem to be stuck in.
Detail number one

Detail number two






No comments: