Friday, September 18, 2009

Palm

Palm
Watercolour
40cm x 50cm or 16 inches x 20 inches

Phew! That was complicated to paint! I was wandering through Trebah Gardens and couldn't resist the light on these leaves. There appeared to be such strict symmetry amongst such turbulence of colour and shape, I was hooked. I did feel a bit like Rolf Harris while painting it..."can you see what it is yet?"
I started with a bit of a drawing, trying to plan I suppose, I was going to make careful use of masking fluid but I found doing that was utterly confusing. So I carried on in pure watercolour, laying down many washes, gradually building up the picture, delving into the jungle. I wanted to get the essence of the shadow on the long leaves and the feeling of amazing order among the chaos, the splashes of bright light and the huge array of greens and yellows.

Here are a couple of details but if you click on any of the pictures they will be much easier to see how the paint is placed, if you are interested in that sort of thing!




7 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Gorgeous light and design! I can see how one would lose one's way in a painting like that. It's a triumph!

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

This SC lowcountry girl bows to you. I've seen a lot of paintings of palms. You are the queen! Stunning!

vivien said...

absolutely amazing! and fiendishly difficult to do successfully like this

The tangle of pattern, light and shadow and textures is beautiful

Jeanette said...

Complicated indeed! Its wonderful. I love the play of light. You have the patience of a saint to work it all out.

annie said...

Folks here have already said it all and how you had the patience is beyond me, too. I am so glad when any of you set up these painting so that I can enlarge them--the details are full of extra beauty and so instructive for us who are learning.
annie

Apple said...

I really like this palm painting!! So pretty!! :)

"JeanneG" said...

You are a brave soul. I wouldn't have the patience. Very good job and those whites just sing.