Friday, October 23, 2009

Autumn

Autumn
Watercolour
37cm x 50cm or 14 inches x 20 inches

It feels like ages since my last painting, Summer has flown and Autumn is defiantly here. I have spent the last few weeks flat out with my "job" as an illustrator, working on some illustrations with a very tight deadline. Having hit the deadline I rewarded myself with a painting workout. I have been planning this painting for a while, a corner of a greenhouse, with everything piled up ready for winter. I love the smell in greenhouses, warm earth, tar and string and I love the patterns made by the haphazard arrangement of pots and tools. I also like to be there as the watercolour washes gradually tighten up to reveal the shapes that I am trying to capture. Lastly but by no means least, I enjoy Autumn. The mists, the smells and the feeling of readying up for winter, the melancholia of it, beautiful!

3 comments:

black bear cabin said...

another fabulous piece! :)

Cheryl Pass said...

Really amazing! Your drawing skills show through so much in your paintings. Complicated compositions obviously do not intimidate you! :-)

"JeanneG" said...

I really like this busy corner. I too am a fan of stacks of pots. I like going to the local plant nursery and taking photos of the many colored pots all stacked up.