Monday, October 05, 2009

In The Dark Woods


In The Dark Woods
Watercolour
50 cm x 140 cm or 20 inches x 55 inches
I am experimenting with large watercolours. I haven't seen that many around, this is pure watercolour as well, no ink, body colour, acrylic or pastel thrown in here.
I have a desire to paint a bigger picture but I don't quite have the courage to spend allot of money on a roll of watercolour paper, I have found some 300gms weight, 1.5m x 9m !! A lot of paper. So to see if this is really what I want to do I found some lighter paper that comes in sheets of 50 cm x 70 cm, I have taped some of these together and am giving it a go. This is all by way of research and development, a great way to paint, quite liberating.
Anyway this is the result, you might find it easier to see if you click on the image and make it come up larger. This is deep in the dark woods amongst the trees as tall as cathedral roofs. The painting process is the same, bigger brushes tho and lots more paint, longer drying times and a lot of stepping back, I need a big drawing board to strap it all to, and, one day, a super expensive, huge, watercolour brush!

4 comments:

vivien said...

oh INVEST!

I've never done a huge watercolour but I'm convinced you would do it beautifully.

Framing would have to be considered as you can't get mount card bigger than A0 - but a bit of ingenuity would solve that.

Kathy said...

Your experiment is wonderful! Changing scale does make a difference and is a great experience for the viewer who is visually engulfed. I hope you can continue this!

Cathy Gatland said...

This is so beautiful - would be amazing on a large scale!

shraddha said...

beautiful work, great blend of colors..
i went through rest of your work too, its really very nice.!