Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Last Journey


The Last Journey
5 small watercolours
7cm hight x 23.5 wide (thats the longest one) or 2.75 inches x 9.25 inches.

I was making the last journey into town, to get the things that I dont really need but thought would be nice for Christmas day.  Driving accross the high road, where you can see forever, when I was stopped in my tracks, literally.  I pulled off the road and watched as the sky darkened, full of rain and the sun painted strips of gold onto a dark winter landscape.  Every field and hedge was sharpened in readyness for the coming storm, a moment of complete calm and clarity.  Then as the rain swept towards me a totally circular rainbow appeared.  The colours were childish in their brightness, it was so beautiful.  I couldnt paint that, I dont think anyone could have done it justice, but I tried to catch the landscape in the moments before the storm.
I never got to town, I think we can live without oranges for now.
To see these little paintings in much more detail click on the picture.  They are of a high resolution so if you would like to print one, or all of them please do so, use a good quality card and they should come out quite well. And, of course, have a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

4 comments:

Julie Broom said...

These are simply lovely. What a generous gift to your readers to give us permission to make our own personal litlle prints of them! Thank you. :-) Have a wonderful Christmas.

Katherine Tyrrell said...

Seasons Greetings

See two of your works on my blog in
Making A Mark Awards 2009: Nominations for the best picture (place)

Todays is a WOW piece too! :)

David Lobenberg said...

I like your h2o style. Have you ever gone to art-schmart.blogspot.com? The artist doesn't post to frequently, but what she does post is terrific. Feliz Navidad and a happy new year of painting!

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Perfect capture!! Your experience sounds like a very special gift. Merry Christmas!

Congrats on your nominations by Katherine!!