Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sunset over Kennack


Sunset over Kennack
Watercolour
60 cm x 42 cm or 23.5 inches x 16.5 inches

Recently I have been trying to loosen up, in a watercolour kind of way.  Trying to breath in the place, absorb the elements, feel the cold, small the air.  Trying hard not to cross all the t's and dot all the i's before I begin.  I want some accidents to happen.  Facing each large blank piece of paper I have my heart in my mouth, full of nervous trepidation I start to fling paint at the surface.  For ages it seems as if the painting is just a pale shadow of what I am trying to do.  Keep the faith, keep on. I have to tell myself over and over again.  Often it is not until the last moment that a splash of colour or a final wash of something makes it work.
Here is one such painting, doing it felt like a headlong leap off the cliffs, wind and salt surf in the air rushing past and finally, at the last moment before I was smashed up on the rocks, it happened, I sprouted wings and flew over the sea and woosh...made this painting...which I like very much!


7 comments:

DweezelJazz said...

Hi Sarah,

The painting is absolutely gorgeous! I'm full of admiration.

cheers,
Nat

Jeanette said...

Fabulous piece Sarah. And you described perfectly what it feels like to venture out onto that clean white expanse of paper!

Maggie Latham said...

Lovely painting, Sarah....
I was in Falmouth today, but did not have time to check out your work at the Beside The Wave. Had to head back to Mid Devon before the weather changed.
Maggie L

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

And like it you should! This is brilliant!!

Lisa Holtzman said...

Wow, this is beautiful! It looks so simple but is so rich.

black bear cabin said...

i am too often intimidated by the white paper, and sometimes give up before i should. thanks for reminding me that we all feel that way sometimes! You piece is lovely and inspiring!

Suzanne McDermott said...

I like it very much, too, and send loads of encouragement for your new expansion. With warm wishes for all good things in the year to come!