Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tracks in the Snow


Tracks in the Snow
SOLD!
Watercolour
112 cm x 50 cm or 40 inches x 20 inches

This is the first painting on the new, enormous roll of watercolour paper.  Possibly a bit tame, chopping off a mere 50 cm but it feels a bit like a new excersise book, scary!  Anyway I climbed over my scary timid self and got out the "I dont care, let me have a go" self.  It was great... I shall explain:
Working large means working fast and loose, slapping on colour and hoping for the result,  it seems to be easier to see bigger things like form and tone.  Because it might not work and because it would have to be a very fine painting to afford to get it framed it seemed to loose any sense of preciousness and therefore I think it is a better painting for it.  Is that a top tip for painting, yes it is, dont worry about the outcome, just enjoy the process.  Big arm movements are a good thing, trying out unexpected colours is also a good thing.
This painting was made in the studio, from a set of photos and some sketches so it is a sense of place rather than an actual place.
Here are some of the details for you to see how weird little marks make sense in the larger painting.





5 comments:

vivien said...

wonderful!

is this a roll of Fabriano?

Jeanette said...

I do like this scene and its cool colours a lot. And you're right, working larger is very freeing.

I envy you your large roll of paper.

Sarah Wimperis said...

viv, it is arches aquarelle, 300gsm cold pressed. Expensive, which is why it has taken me a while to do this but worth it!

Lisa Holtzman said...

This is gorgeous Sarah, love the colors and the mood.

Cathy said...

I'm not surprised it was sold! It's amazing!