Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Another day


Some more work on the large watercolour, it takes ages to build up the right depth of colour.  Strangely this painting is reminding me of an illustration that I did nearly 30 years ago:

I am not sure that Sam, who is the model for my painting, will appreciate being likened to a rusty giant, but I can definitely see a similarity in the two paintings.  I must be slightly obsessed with deep dark forests.

I have been laying down washes of colour and then pressing cling-film over them to build up some texture.  Also quite a lot of dry brush work.  One of the things that I like best about watercolours is the sense of adventure, a reckless splash of colour and some hap hazard treatment can result in something lovely, or not, that is the adventure!

1 comment:

Lisa Holtzman said...

Really wonderful Painting Sarah. Can't wait to see the next stage!