Saturday, June 26, 2010

Scented Geranium

Scented Geranium
Pure Watercolour
30 cm x 30 cm or 12 inches x 12 inches.
 A couple of old pots overflowing with one of my favorite plants, scented geraniums.  This one is "Fragrans" and has a nutmeggy, spicy scent.  I have one that smells of "coke bottles", those weird little jelly sweets that you can buy, that one sits next to the Chocolate Cosmos in sweet shop corner!  When you sit close by, drawing these beauties on a hot afternoon, the smell is lovely and as the afternoon dawdles into the evening the scents intensify and I don't know why, but it does and it is almost my favorite part of summer, scented summer nights.
I seem to be well and truly up the garden path as far as painting goes these days.  I think it is the result of a post operative knee which has limited my walking a bit.  Rather than tramping along cliff paths and across beaches I am sneaking about in gardens and sitting amongst the geraniums.  I spent a very productive couple of hours in my friends garden yesterday ( drawing not gardening) so there will be a few more garden inspired paintings to come.

5 comments:

Julie Broom said...

beautifully done, watercolour at it's finest.

Stacy said...

I'm sorry to hear about the post-operative knee, but if it is the reason behind your wonderful garden paintings I'm selfishly thankful as well. Please continue with the garden paintings even when you are fully recovered.

Sarah Wimperis said...

Thanks Julie. The knee is doing very well and I do plan to continue the garden paintings Stacy.

Vivien said...

I love the deep shadows of the summer in this painting.

Cozy in Texas said...

I stopped by your blog today - Beautiful paintings.
Ann
Cozy In Texas