Wednesday, June 02, 2010

A Set of Paintings

This is the little collection of paintings for the gallery's  2010 Summer Exhibition
I like to try and make a kind of story for the paintings and this year they are all about a walk to the sea, the sort of thing that I do all the time I know, but, it is also the sort of thing that a lot of people enjoy when they come here on holiday.  Anyway I think they "hang" together quite well, in other words they have a narrative for me.  I think it is very interesting to put a set of paintings together like this.  Firstly it gives a very good sense of scale, it lets me know, as the artist, whether they work well together, if they have that narrative quality.  It shows me what my colours are right now (it's not just green, it is the type of green, which side of green I am leaning towards!)  The other thing that it does is highlight what it is that catches my attention, knowing that, or rather being conscious of that can really help you to "see" potential paintings.
And last but not least it gives me a little time to enjoy my work, after all this might be the last time I ever see them, (sadly but hopefully!)

2 comments:

Vivien said...

Wonderful set of paintings - atmosphere of being happily deep in the countryside, away from urban crowds, cars and council notices! Your paintings suggest the mystery of nature.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Lovely work Sarah, all of it, but especially 'The Allotment'. Best wishes, Lesley