Friday, July 30, 2010

Back Yard Steps

Back Yard Steps
Pure Watercolour
28 cm x 33 cm or 11 inches x 13 inches

Another "found" still life, a collection of shells, rocks and pots sitting quietly on some old granite steps in the shade by the back door of my friends house.  She has a small daughter and I suspect the shells might be treasure, arranged carefully by the four year old curator of the secret museum of special things.  I have always liked "found" poetry and think the same process runs into painting, an artful arrangement can sometimes just happen.
Anyway, apart from that, this is the first painting done with my new, hand made, wildly expensive watercolour brush, brought with birthday money from my in-laws.  It is a brush from Rosemary & Co and I am most impressed.

5 comments:

Nancy Goldman said...

This is such a nice depiction of a secluded garden area. Your colors are so lush.

Janice said...

You have beautiful work, very soft and sentimental feeling. I love the shoes as well.

Don Gray said...

Your work is fabulous, Sarah. I admire your versatility.

Barbara Philip said...

Love this composition and the way you have handled it. I am a great admirer of those who paint gardens, and this one caught my eye. It is great!

Margaret Bednar said...

The color and detail that is tucked away in this painting is remarkable. The line work of the stones in the upper right corner us wonderful as well as the light and shadows. I have found myself studying this piece a number of times...