Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon
Oil on Wooden Panel
30cm x 40cm or 12 inches x 16 inches.

I thought it was about time that I gave my obsession with gardens expression in oil paints.  I wasn't entirely sure that the medium would suit the subject, or if I could make it work.  However I am pleased with the result, it seems to have the presence of a sunny afternoon, slightly too hot and verging on being oppressive.  The shade is inky and deep and there is a still quiet, just a few bees buzzing... "sipping at my ice cold beer, lazing on a sunny afternoon"

8 comments:

K Spoering said...

Your garden is quite lovely in oil! I love the heat of it. My garden is quite hot, too. Staying inside in the cool studio until it cools down a bit!

Caroline Bray Art said...

This def works Sarah. I always think light and shadows such as those here make a painting work very well. I can imagine myself sitting here, head in the shade, that beer in one hand, and desperately trying to tan my white, English legs in the sun...! Great stuff, well done!

René PleinAir. said...

I only wonder if we should take this as an invitation, ... ??

It's such an invitation to take a seat.

Lovely, you could sit there the whole summer with some nice art-books.

Congratulations!

Sue said...

Yup, I agree, it works in oils and probably the paint texture adds to the impression of the cloying heat of a summer's afternoon. Great stuff!

Jeanette said...

Beautiful piece Sarah. You've gotten that mix of light and contrast perfectly and it spells heat.

Maggie said...

it works well in oil, it looks beautiful. I had a look at some of your other works, and i love the watercolour of the bucket on the previous post too, it is wonderful.

Postcard Friend said...

love your work

Helen Read said...

I love the sun dappled effect! Nicely done.