Sunday, November 14, 2010

Evening Trees

Watercolour
13 cm x 20 cm or 5 inches x 8 inches

Low sunlight through the trees, early evenings, deep in the silent woods. 
I have been trying to paint without the use of masking fluid.  I have developed a deep hatred of the stuff, I messed up a couple of paintings when it stuck fast to the paper and ripped bits up, it is too heavy handed (or perhaps I am) I just don't like it, and it smells funny, perhaps it has gone off!  I tried permanent masking fluid but again that felt clumsy and wrong so I am painting without, finding other methods to preserve light in paintings.  Happily I think it is working so far.

8 comments:

Richard said...

This is a wonderful piece!

vivien said...

I feel the same about masking fluid - hate those hard edges

This is so moody. The autumn mistiness in the last light is beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Carol said...

It's gorgeous! I've been working on a very similar piece...miserably, I might add. This has inspired me to go at it again.

Sarah Wimperis said...

Thank you very much Viv and Richard, keep going Carol, you will get there.
I am trying to make some painting films, will post the first attempt up today,

annie said...

This is so moody and wonderful, Sarah, and so inspirational--those textured trees.... I am new at watercolor and getting soft edges, and I messed up with masking fluid, immediately, so I hear you.

annie

Helen Read said...

I agree, this has a wonderful sense of mystery about it! wonderful colors and the way you've shown light!

rob ijbema said...

excellent,that main tree's got presence

loriann said...

beautiful piece..impressive ..immense while still light filled.