Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wind Power

Oil on board 20 x 25 cm or 8 x 10 inches
Not everybody likes these big windmills but I do.  I love the size of them and the swish through the air.  This is an unremarkable little track on a grey and rain soaked day, I was on my way home from having birthday coffee with a friend when I saw these majestic towers in the mist.  So, with my new found passion for plein air painting I stopped my van and did this. 
I also had a chance to test out my new invention...plein air glasses!  They are an old pair of glasses with the lenses coloured red with permanent marker pen, what they do, you see, is to make the tonal qualities of what you are looking at much more extreme.  So I wear them to map out my painting, they work a treat, they look very odd but I don't mind about that!

3 comments:

soubriquet said...

I like this.
Like you, I see wind turbines as part of the landscape, not as intruders. In their way, they have as much right to be here as the ruins of a tin-mine's engine house, or an ancient abbey, those things we so abitrarily deem picturesque.

Mind you, I used to earn my daily bread as a wind-turbine engineer, so maybe I'm biased.
But looking at your picture, I can feel the wind on my face, some cold rain, the rhythmic noise of the rotating blades, the machines coming into and going out of sync, a strangely musical sound. The trees are rustling, my boots are wet and muddy, but despite the rain, I stand, watching the patters of movement, hypnotised.

I like it.

Sarah Wimperis said...

and I like what you write about them, agree totally!

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Oooooo, you've so captured the the feeling of seeing wind turbines in a bucolic landscape. Such a stark contrast but yet with it's own beauty.