Thursday, September 01, 2011

August

Oil on canvas, 50 x 60 cm
This is the fireworks display at the end of Helford Regatta on Saturday August 26th and it is the "August" painting for my river project, I painted the fireworks two years ago in watercolour and in some respects I think I preferred the watercolour, it was difficult to do but splashier.  This has bits that I like very much, I got the firework smoky atmosphere down on the far left where the little lamp glows.  I also like the dimly lit boat shapes but some of it is just a bit too gaudy for me. However...its good to experiment, what do you think!
Evening 29.08.11, in the evening light the reflections were a beautiful green but the leaves seem to be about to turn.
Later on the same evening looking the other way, a little boat going out making a small wake through the deep dark reflections.

4 comments:

Lina-Paola said...

Yup, I definitely agree with you on experimenting with different mediums, because its the only way that we explore more. I really like the top portion of the painting, especially the fireworks themselves. You got the brightness part of them, and against the night sky makes them all the more awesome to look at!
-Lina
misartmanias.blogspot.com

angelsroy33 said...

I was just browsing thru the blogs, and your 'August'/firework painting caught my eye. It is beautiful, and just wanted to tell you so. Gorgeous paintings,-ALL of them. Is that for sale by chance? Just wondering,...thanks for any info.
Angelsroy33

Sarah Wimperis said...

It might be Angelsroy33, email me, link on the side, thanks for the appreciation.

Raya Nakhimova said...

Just browsing through. Absolutely stunning work.Love the fireworks piece!