Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Pie Miniature

Poppy, Three Days Old
Watercolour on Polymin
85mm x 105mm
3.3 inches x 4.1 inches
This is the painting done for the miniature painting demonstration at the gallery yesterday.  I wanted to do a small portrait and of course three days ago I got a willing model!  It was painted using Daniel Smith watercolours which are made from real earth and gemstone pigments.  I used the traditional technique of millions of tiny brushstrokes to build up the colour depth. 

This is the working piece with some of the colours used, check out the fantastic names!  The painting will be framed with a mount of deep red and a wide gold frame and this one I am keeping for myself.
Portraits like this can be commissioned and come framed at a cost of £300. 
Another demo on Thursday and this time I think I will be painting on a little bit of 10,000 year old Mammoth tusk, if I can source the image that I want to paint that is.

4 comments:

Mouse said...

I wish I had a piece of mammoth tusk! Being a passionate admirer of the swimming reindeer at the British Museum I think a piece of mammoth tusk would be amazing.

What do you plan to do with it?
I can't wait to see

Mouse said...

PS adorable picture of the baby

Katherine Thomas said...

This is exquisite. And your description of the process makes it even more special, the way you added each brush stroke with such care. Very nice work

Katherine Tyrrell said...

Lovely painting - and she seems very alert!

I've got the sampler for the DS watercolours and am amazed at the colours and names - luscious!