Friday, January 20, 2012

The Window of Her Maiden Name

The Window of Her Maiden Name
Watercolour
38 x 38 cm
Painting this was quite emotional, its not my child's room but as the last of my five left home six years ago I knew the feelings that this room held so well, and they came flooding back. 
This is the room of a daughter, tidy and almost empty, she has gone off to university, flown the nest.  Eagerly embracing her new life away from her childhood home, leaving behind her a wake of bitter sweet sorrow.  The deep longing ache that every parent feels, standing in their child's room, watching from the window of her maiden name, wishing them all the best that the world can give but crying inside for the loss of that part of your own life that will never return.
Another paintings for the Watercolour and Works on Paper Fair at the Science Museaum 2nd to 5th February.

7 comments:

Judy said...

I absolutely love this painting, just had to comment on it!
I also know the feeling you write about so well!

Mouse said...

oh yes, the pride one feels in having raised a good brood and the bitter-sweet pain as they fly the nest...

I love your paintings of rooms and one day will ask you to paint some of my rooms in France!

Kris Wiltse said...

Lovely transparent and juicy watercolors, yet you maintained a richness. It conveys those transient feelings. A quietness.

Ingrid said...

I love this Sarah - and I don't think it will be long on the wall in London, that's for sure! x

Maud Guilfoyle said...

Well you certainly touched this parent's heartstrings!
Your interiors are so beautiful, I feel I could just step inside and get lost for a quiet afternoon.

Elizabeth said...

It's beautiful, and I like the title - so meaningful.

http://bebesuisse.blogspot.com/

Vreni Stijnen said...

Very well done!