Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Alpine House


Alpine House
35cm x 35cm
oil on board
Beside The Wave
This is one of my favourite paintings so far, and a favourite place.  My Grandfather was a very keen gardener and grew alpines.  In the winter he could be found pottering away in the shelter of the greenhouse, tending to his alpines.  He would be wearing his tweed gardening jacket and a tie with his pipe close to hand.  He was a lovely gentle man, born in 1900, he died about 30 years ago and I still miss him.  This is my aunts alpine house, I like to think that some of her plants are the descendants of his collection.  The smell of creosote and garden twine still makes me think of him.

1 comment:

Katherine Thomas said...

This is so pretty, and has such a nostalgic peaceful feeling. Your post is beautiful as well.