Monday, December 10, 2012

Two Commissions and some Lush Framing

 Two commissions, both paintings measure 40cm x 60cm without the frames and as for the frames...
I am very proud of them, framed in house, by yours truly and for the first time...
 I have made my own gesso.  It is a recipe that includes honey among other things.  It is exciting to make in that it makes me feel part of an ancient tradition of artist/craftsmen and that is something that I have discovered means a lot to me.  The craft of art!
 Anyway this gesso goes on like a dream, the frames have about 8 smooth coats and then a luxurious waxing with beautiful smelling framers wax.  The inside line is gilded with 24 carat gold leaf and, I think, adds a little shaft of warm light to the paintings.
These two are destined for a beautiful home in Bath where they will sit either side of the fireplace and fit in perfectly with the Georgian splendour of Bath.

4 comments:

Katherine Thomas said...

Thats ironic that you posted this about the gesso on the frames, and the gold leaf. I've been tossing around ideas in my mind for creative framing and for my box collages too. I might try the gold leaf and the white. It looks gorgeous on your frames! Congrats on the commissions. It all looks so beautiful!

Marla said...

Wow! I am so impressed - the paintings are fabulous by themselves, but then the framing is wonderful. They will be perfect in Bath!

Sue Pownall said...

wow amazing frames for these beautiful paintings.

Lois said...

Beautiful paintings; you are a real crafts person with excellent taste. The time and work spent crafting the lovely frames shows in the quality of your work.