Saturday, February 08, 2014

Memories of Provence and a new Exhibition

60 x 40 cm oil on board
A Provencal Morning

 New paintings just gone on show at Beside The Wave in an exhibition called "The Art of Romance" just in time for valentines day.  For me it is the romance of memory and the delight of beautiful places and things.  Two are from a trip to Provence last November. Obviously the rumpled bed is a romantic image but the whole of Provence is romance for me.  I went with Big Dave and we stayed at the most beautiful Hotel Crillion Le Brave  and had a very lovely time.  The above painting was our room with gorgeous French windows, a balcony and a glorious view!  I had been there before with Katherine from Making a Mark when we all went painting in Provence but we only ate and sketched, we didn't stay.
Autumn in Provence
 There are also paintings of a beautiful house, close to where I live.  The owners very kindly let me look round and plunder it for rich visual treats.  It is like a time capsule, quiet and calm, smelling of furniture polish and leather, it so reminded me of my grandmothers house that I had to do some paintings...
The Diary Shelves

The Stillness of Time
China and Earthenware
I shall pop the rest up over the next few days.  I am sharing the exhibition with another of Beside The Waves artists Anne-Marie Butlin who paints beautiful still life and flowers. You can see everything on the brand new web site Beside The Wave of which I am enormously proud as I have had quite a bit to do with the building of it.  Go and have a look and let me know what you think.
All the Letters I wrote

4 comments:

emmasouthlondon said...

Wonderful light coming in through those windows…
Enjoying your blog,
Emma.

Shelley Whiting said...

I love your paintings. The light in your paintings are fabulous and impressive.

Ruth Steinfatt said...

Good luck with your exhibition... I love the use of colour in all of your pieces.

jasmine nile said...

nice ,,,,,,,