Sunday, March 20, 2016

Watercolour Plein Air Painting Board

Traveling and painting,city or rural, how do you set up your watercolour equipment?
It is not always possible to sit down so I made a thing, I am quite proud of it.
Measuring 50 x 42 cm and with a strap that clips on it is a watercolourists plein air painting table.
Here is a picture of the finished glorious item, it is a bit like a cinema ice-cream tray but better because its for painting with.
You wear it and then you can stand, almost unnoticed, in a doorway or by a tree trunk, or in a muddy puddle, with your painting table resting on your tummy.  Because it has a strap over your shoulder your hands are free to create.  The water jar is held on with blue tack.  I like using glass jars, that's just me though, I suppose you could use a plastic container. Everything else is held on with bull dog clips.  It is made from MDF and painted black for two reasons, to help when painting in bright light and to protect the MDF from sucking up water.
Its mine and I made it myself from start to finish.  I will stick a QR code on the underside so that when it is slung over my shoulder I will still be advertising my web site.

No comments: