Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Your Website...Part One

These days, if you make art you probably need a web site, you might already have one but do you have control of the steering wheel? Is it up to date and does it look professional?

I use Artlook to power my website.  It is very easy to manage and allows you to get into the habit of updating and keeping your website current and relevant. The biggest plus for me is that it virtually builds itself using the work that I have put into my inventory.

This is how it works…
I finish a painting, photograph it, and pop the photograph onto my computer.  I can edit it on my phone and use it directly from there if I want to.  I make a scale image as well and for my own sanity I title the image and scale image with the title of the painting.
Then I add this as a new item to my Artlook inventory. I fill in the details, title, price, medium, category. I add tags (one word descriptions of the work) dimensions then check or uncheck “the publish to web” buttons at the bottom…and click save.
If I want to add details like a link to where the painting is being exhibited or a more detailed description of the work I pop it into the details section… and click save.

Then I add images, as many as necessary, by clicking the add image button and collecting them from wherever I have stored them…and click save.



Then I add them to a grouping by clicking in the big box and choosing from the dropdown menu of groupings that I have already created, click amend groupings…and then click save.

If I have chosen a Grouping that is a “Web_gallery” a “Web_page” or a “Web_exhibition” then the new item will appear on my website…as soon as I click save!  
It is that simple, in the next post I will talk more about Groupings and the choices for the website templates.




No comments: